Unlike conventional hydraulic test methods, the Colloidal Borescope measures groundwater velocity in situ, resulting in aquifer flow rates and accurate directional data without removing groundwater.
- Track pollution migration in real time.
- Models flow characteristics in complex fracture zones.
- Define preferential flows through well screens when low flow sampling is performed.
- Improve water remediation or treatment designs.
- Observe the flow on a pore scale to measure velocities ranging from 0 to 30 mm / sec.
- Generate flow and velocity models using existing wells, avoiding additional costs associated with installing additional wells or piezometers.
- Identify flow direction and velocity in real time.
- Capture a statistical summary report that includes the well number, date, vector analysis, and more.
By detecting the movement of naturally occurring particles in aquifers, the Borescope uses a magnified sensor, illumination source, and frame rate technology to count the number of present particles, their speed and direction.
For example, using a frame rate of 30 frames per second, the detection of a particle moving 1mm across the field of view could be captured in subsequent frames 1/30 of a second apart. This would result in a speed measurement of 3cm / s. Using this information, AquaLITE software calculates, records and generates real-time speed information for real-time decision making.
The Colloidal Borescope system includes:
- Borescope probe: fully integrated colloidal vision video microscope with magneto-resistive digital compass enclosed in a 300 series stainless steel protective housing.
- Bulkhead Well Cable – A reinforced composite video underwater camera cable incorporating Kevlar longitudinal strain relief and polyurethane outer sheathing. Bottom well cable lengths are available from 100 ‘(30m) to 1000’ (305m).
- Geotech portable reel: transport and storage of the well cable and the Borescope probe.
- Camera control unit: with camera and lighting power supplies, serial data connection for digital compass via USB and live video transmission via 54mm express card.
- Extension Cable – Connects the camera control unit to the portable hand reel, used with systems that include 200ft (60m) or more of well cable.
- AquaLITE software: allows the user to view live water flow direction, velocity or combined graphs and summary statistical reports. AquaLITE also features fully configurable video signal quality, groundwater quality, and other aquifer characteristics.
- Operation Manual: details complete instructions on how to operate the system.
- Laptop with 54mm express card and USB ports
- Centering device for Borescope
Borescope system schematic – Borescope probe
- Evaluation of groundwater capture areas.
- Planning of locations for monitoring recovery wells and injection wells.
- Accurate calibration of groundwater models
- Excellent alternative to slug and bomb testing
- Influences of the tides
- Industrial hydrology
- Compilation of evidence from groundwater contamination litigation.
- Evaluate “cross hole” hydraulic connections
The colloidal Borescope system powered by AquaLITE allows environmental scientists to fully understand the complexity of site hydrology. The Colloidal Borescope can measure the direction and velocity of groundwater in real time at specific depth intervals.
The AquaLITE software allows the user to view the live video signal from the Borescope and a symbolic representation of the particle movements at the same time. The software is fully configurable, to allow changes in the quality of the video signal, the clarity of the groundwater and other characteristics of the aquifer.
The software also allows the user to view the sampled data in directional, velocity or combined graphs, all in real time. Graphics are fully customizable. The graph images as well as the sampled data can be exported for use in other applications and / or presentations.
The software offers a statistical summary report for the user and includes well number, date and data information, general statistical analysis, and vector analysis. The summary report can be exported for use in other applications and / or presentations.